Members of the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) in Durban have arrested a public prosecutor and two policemen for taking a bribe from a suspect.

Information from the Independent Police Investigative Directorate has it that the men were nabbed six months after they released the suspect. The incidence reportedly took place in August 2016.

As reliably informed, the suspect was arrested for possession of dagga‚ after which he allegedly bribed the cops and prosecutor to release him without putting the matter on the court roll.

Following the arrest, the state prosecutor and the two cops have since been charged with corruption and defeating of ends of justice.

Hawks spokesperson Captain Simphiwe Mhlongo confirmed the development in a statement. He, however, declined to announce the amount the suspect paid for his freedom.

The statement reads: “Members of the Hawks Serious Corruption Unit in Durban have arrested one public prosecutor and two policemen for corruption‚ as well as defeating the ends of justice‚ which happened at Hlanganani Magistrate’s Court in August last year.

“The three allegedly received a bribe for the release of the suspect without trial. An intensive investigation was instituted and Hawks preliminary investigation indicated that there was foul play. They were charged with corruption and defeating the ends of justice.”

In a related story, members of the Directorate for Priority Crime investigation (Hawks) in KwaZulu-Natal also arrested a public prosecutor for allegedly demanding money from a complainant.

The suspect Mduduzi Funeka, 40, who is a public prosecutor at Ixopo Magistrate’s Court was arrested for demanding money from a complainant in order not to charge him in a case of stock theft.

Hawks spokesperson, Captain Simphiwe Mhlongo confirmed that he was “caught red-handed accepting cash”.

Funeka made his second court appearance in January 2017. He had earlier appeared in the Durban Specialised Commercial Court in December 2016 and was granted bail of R1,000.