Reports reaching our news desk indicates that North Korea is preparing to test another missile, with the country’s eccentric leader Kim Jong-un possibly planning a high-profile launch to coincide with the inauguration of Donald Trump as US President on Friday.

The Yonhap news agency, quoting high-level South Korean and US military sources, said two new missiles had been loaded onto mobile launchers.

 They were believed to be equipped with new engines that the North tested last April, when Pyongyang said they would ‘guarantee’ an eventual nuclear strike on the US mainland.

The missiles’ existence appeared to have been intentionally leaked by Pyongyang, according to Yonhap, to send a ‘strategic message’ to incoming US president Donald Trump, due to be sworn in on Friday.

Kim said recently the country was in the final stages of developing inter-continental ballistic missiles.

The Pentagon has reportedly deployed a high-tech sea-based X-band radar system to keep watch for a possible North Korean long-range missile launch in the coming months.