Following SA heated xenophobic revolt against foreigners, a group in Nigerians has ordered all South African residents and business in Nigeria to leave the country or face death and destruction.
The National Association of Nigerian Students gave SA citizens 48 hours to leave the country to avoid bloodshed.
The citizen reported the warning amid a violent spate of xenophobic revolt that has gripped parts of Gauteng, particularly Pretoria, in the past two weeks.
Nigerians in Abuja also slammed the South African government’s alleged failure to prosecute perpetrators of the xenophobic attacks, saying they had granted the perpetrators “a license to kill foreign nationals”.
The South African high commissioner in Abuja, Lulu Mnguni, told The Citizen by telephone on Monday that South African lives had been threatened by the National Association of Nigerian Students, who have given them 48 hours to vacate the country.
Although South Africans feared for their lives, he urged them to remain calm, limit their movement and be vigilant while moving around.
The Nigerian government has also condemned comments by SA MinIster of Home Affairs (Malusi Gigaba) who suggested that diplomacy is the solution to attacks on Nigerians living in South Africa.
The Foreign Affairs Senior Special Adviser to the President of Nigeria, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa reportedly proclaimed that the Nigerian government will no longer ignore the violence against its citizens in South Africa.
She said “Gigaba’s response to the mayhem that a segment of the South African people perpetrated on law-abiding Nigerians in South Africa smirks of insensitivity, and is therefore very reprehensible, if not unacceptable.
In view of the “unfortunate statement”, Dabiri-Erewa reiterated her call for the African Union to take up SA xenophobic revolt issue as a matter of urgency.