The SABC’s sole board member, Mbuhaleni Maghuve, says he felt bullied, belittled and disrespected, by the ad hoc committee probing the fitness of the SABC board on Wednesday.
Maghuve led a walkout shortly after proceedings began.
He says he won’t be part of a process that has a foregone conclusion.
He addressed the media after his walk out.
With the support of controversial SABC Head of Corporate Affairs, Hlaudi Motsoeneng, Maghuve lashed out at the inquiry.
“I believed that the process was not going to be fair, independent and impartial. The attitude that prevailed today as the inquiry was commencing, was very very negative and hostile. As the Chairperson, I felt bullied, I felt belittled and disrespected.”
Maghuve had turned to the courts to halt the inquiry, but it was dismissed. He is now appealing that decision.
From the get-go, Maguvhe objected – he wanted all documents converted to braille – rejected as a stalling tactic by the committee.
Chairperson Vincent Smith said Maghuve had been asked to indicate whether he wanted this done five days ahead of the start of the inquiry.
Maghuve had apparently said he would have them done himself.
Motsoeneng, meanwhile, said outside forces are jealous of the public broadcaster’s success. He claims the committee has a political agenda.
“There are many forces that are having different interests in the SABC, we are aware of that…putting their own agenda, abusing the same processes of parliament to deal with the SABC,” Motsoeneng said.
The ANC’s Chief Whip has slated the behaviour of the SABC’s representatives, saying it’s the latest in a series of stalling tactics.
Jackson Mthembu says this, combined with their refusal to hand over certain documents to the committee, is shocking and disgusting.