The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) has called on South Africans to boycott more Gupta-owned events in the country.
Malema’s party stated this on Tuesday while celebrating the postponement of Gupta-owned news channel ANN7’s South African of the Year (SATY) Awards.
The EFF issued a statement last week, calling on celebrities such as Bonang and Somizi to cancel their participation in the “criminal” event.
The Malema-led party said one of the reasons why the influential family’s event must be boycotted is to expose the abnormality of their offenses and kleptocratic syndicate.
“The EFF further calls for more boycotts on all that is associated with the Guptas; we must all stop going to the Gupta-owned ANN7 TV programmes and taking interviews from The New Age‚” EFF national spokesperson Ndlozi said.
The EFF added that the family needs to be dealt with for corrupting the state, which he said, is the only tangible democratic gain that the struggle for liberation placed in the hands of black people.
The fighter slammed the Guptas for hijacking the appointment of Cabinet ministers and board members of parastatals like Eskom.
“This family has abused the generosity of the South African spirit‚ humiliated our hospitality simply because they have bought politicians of the ANC and are in business with Jacob Zuma,” he alleged.
Earlier this week, ANN7’s editor-in-chief Moegsien Williams’ announced that the much-awaited SATY Awards has been postponed.
According to Williams, the event was shifted due to unforeseen regulatory circumstances that have materially impacted on logistics for the event. The organizers, nonetheless, promised to seek a new date in the near future.