The 20 nominees for the 2016 Mercedes-Benz Restaurant Awards have been announced, revealing the best of the best South Africa has to offer when it comes to fine dining.
The awards ceremony will take place at the end of November 2016, which will crown the best restaurant in the country – however, all 20 nominees represent the best dining experiences the country has to offer.
The top 10 – and the winners of the S.Pellegrino Acqua Panna Chef of the Year, Wine Service, Service Excellence and Rising Star awards – are all chosen by a team of experts who remain anonymous throughout the judging process.
In 2015, the top prize went to The Test Kitchen in Cape Town, which has again been nominated in 2016. The restaurant has won the award every year since 2012.
The Test Kitchen in Cape Town was also named the best restaurant in Africa, and the 22nd top restaurant in the world, in the S.Pellegrino Best Restaurants Awards for 2016, followed by another Cape Town staple, La Colombe, which ranked 76th globally (and second in SA).
All of the top 10 winners from 2015 have again be nominated in 2016, with only three new restaurants cracking the top 20 this year:
These are the top 20 restaurants in South Africa (listed alphabetically) and some of the meals / type of ambience you can expect.
20..Camphors at Vergelegen – Somerset West
19.Chef’s Warehouse & Canteen – Cape Town
18. DW Eleven-13 – Johannesburg
17.Foliage – Franschhoek
16.Greenhouse – Cape Town
15. Hartford House – KZN Midlands (New)
14. Indochine – Stellenbosch
13. Jordan Restaurant – Stellenbosch
12. The Kitchen at Maison – Franschhoek
11. La Colombe – Cape Town
10. Nobu – Cape Town (New)
9. Overture – Stellenbosch
8. Pierneef a La Motte – Franschhoek (New)
7. The Pot Luck Club – Cape Town
6. Restaurant Mosaic at the Orient – Pretoria
5. The Restaurant at Waterkloof – Somerset West
4. Rust en Vrede – Stellenbosch
3. The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais – Franschhoek
2. Terroir – Stellenbosch
1. The Test Kitchen – Cape Town
The award winners will be announced on 20 November 2016.