Frederik Willem De klerk, a South African politician who served as the country’s State President from August 1989 to May 1994 is on the spotlight again.

He was the seventh and last head of state of South Africa under the apartheid era. De Klerk was also leader of the National Party (which later became the New National Party) from February 1989 to September 1997.

Black First Land First (BLF) movement laid 22 criminal charges against FW De Klerk for apartheid crimes.

BLF also laid 16 criminal charges against Adriaan Vlok. The movement laid the charges at the South African Police Services (SAPS) in Buitenkant Street, Cape Town.

The charges are for the apartheid crimes De Klerk and Vlok committed against blacks.

Apart from the charges, BLF lodged 2 complaints of racism against South Africa’s last head of state under the apartheid era.

The first complaint was about De Klerk saying apartheid wasn’t a crime against humanity.

“On May 29 2015, De Klerk told the Bonds Raad at the Voortrekker Monument in Pretoria that apartheid was not a crime against humanity. This declaration by De Klerk is an act of racism,” read a BLF document.

The second complaint was about the ex-leader reporting racist comments to SAHRC.

“FW De Klerk’s complaints to the SAHRC on 15 January 2016 against black people who made certain comments in 45 social media posts that he alleged to be racist – is in itself an act of racism,” stated BLF.

De Klerk was subsequently criticized by some activists and they called him “architect of apartheid”. There have also been calls for him to be stripped of his Nobel Peace Prize.

De Klerk’s reported admission that he ordered a massacre of supposed Azanian People’s Liberation Army fighters, including teenagers, shortly before going to Oslo in 1993 was another reason for the charges.

It appears that this massacre is the basis for criminal charges that the Anti-Racism Action Forum laid against de Klerk in early 2016.

Further, de Klerk’s role in the destabilization of the country during the negotiation process through the operation of a ‘third force’ came to the attention of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, and was never ultimately clarified.