Dr. Bonginkosi Emmanuel “Blade” Nzimande is a South African politician who has been Minister for Higher Education and Training since 2009. He has been the General Secretary of the South African Communist Party since 1998. He has a doctorate degree in philosophy specializing in sociology.
Here are Top 14 things you should know about him.
14. Nzimande was born in Edendale near Pietermaritzburg, on 14 April 1958.
13. He served on the editorial board of the South African Labour Bulletin in 1986
12. Nzimande lectured until June 1987 and then joined the University of Natal, Durban to lecture in the Psychology Department.
11. Dr. Nzimande criticized the government of Thabo Mbeki and its economic policy, and he was vocal in his support for the removal of Mbeki as President of South Africa
10. He was appointed as the first minister for higher Education and training in the republic of South Africa in May 2009.
9. He is an author of children of wars: The impact of violence on schooling in Natal.
8. He was awarded a PhD from the university of Natal for a thesis titled “The corporate guerrillas.”
7. He first became politically aware when Henry Gwala was released from Robben Island prison in 1973.
6. Blade’s joined the South African Communist Party (SACP) in 1988.
.5 His parents were Shangaan herbalist from Mozambique.
4. He was director of the education policy unit at the University of Natal from 1990 to 1994.
3. Blade is a member of the ANC National Executive Committee, the working committee and the chairperson of the Financial Sector Coalition Campaign (FSCC).
2. His real name is Emmanuel Bonginkosi “Blade” Nzimande.
1. Bonginkosi is a Zulu word which means “Thank you Lord.