A teenage schoolboy was electrocuted and critically injured in a classroom at a school in Westville‚ KwaZulu-Natal on Monday.

The pupil‚ aged approximately 15‚ was electrocuted by a “transformer-like device” being used by pupils.

“Upon assessment‚ paramedics found that the boy had sustained serious burns to his chest and hands‚ and was in a critical condition‚” said ER24 spokesman Russel Meiring.

“Paramedics treated the patient and provided him with several advanced life support interventions. Once treated‚ the patient was transported to St Augustines Hospital for further treatment.”

“It is believed that the students had been using a transformer-like device when the boy was electrocuted‚” he said in a statement.