A 36-year-old man appeared in court on Monday in connection with the murder of a hard-working mother of two.

The man made a brief appearance in the Bishop Lavis Magistrate’s Court, where he was charged with the murder of Lauren Dryden.

Police spokesperson FC van Wyk confirmed the arrest of a 36-year-old suspect.

Van Wyk said “Be advised that a 36-year-old man was arrested. He is due to appear in court on Monday on a charge of murder”.

Speaking outside court, Bonteheuwel ward councillor Angus McKenzie said the community worked together on Friday to try to figure out who the suspect was.

He said “As a community we are standing together”.

McKenzie said gender-based violence was a big issue, adding the breakdown of the criminal justice system needed to be addressed as the accused was not supposed to be able to commit this murder.

He said “There have been numerous other cases before court which he should have been put away for.

“We are here not only to support the family but to put pressure on the court system because it cannot fail this family again. It cannot fail another victim again. This guy must go to jail.

“He must spend the rest of his life in jail and never see the light of day. That young mother will never see the light of day ever again”.

Spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) Eric Ntabazalila confirmed the suspect had made a brief court appearance and that the matter had been postponed to next week.

“The accused appeared at the Bishop Lavis Magistrate’s Court today (Monday).

Ntabazalila said “He is charged with murder and his case has been postponed to November 30, 2020, for bail information and for a legal representative from Legal Aid SA to come on board”.