Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe’s wife‚ Grace, has been accused by a Johannesburg woman of assaulting her with an extension cord at a Sandton hotel at the weekend and the Police Minister Fikile Mbalula has now intervened.
Model Gabriella Engels, 20, alleges the assault occurred at about 9pm on Sunday night when Grace paid a visit to the Zimbabwean president’s two sons, Robert Jnr, 25, and Chatunga, 21.
“We were chilling in a hotel room‚ and they were in the room next door. She came in and started hitting us. The front of my forehead is busted open,” Engels said.
She said the Zimbabwean first lady beat her up along with two of her friends with the extension cord‚ while her bodyguards looked on as they were assaulted.
Engels said she suffered gashes to her forehead and scalp.
Grace allegedly found Mugabe’s sons unsteady on their feet after a long party. They are supposed to be studying in Johannesburg, but regularly go to Taboo nightclub in Sandton, where sources said they spent a “great deal” of money on champagne.
The sons were “evicted” last month from a luxury Sandton apartment, according to Zimbabwe media, at The Regent apartment hotel in Morningside after supposed unacceptable behaviour in a “dispute over women”.
Engels said she went to the nearest police station on Sunday night, but she was sent away by a police officer on duty, who told her to first seek medical attention. Her mother, Debbie‚ said they would open an assault case on Monday.
Now a case of assault has been opened and the Police Minister Fikile has vowed to arrest any of the Mugabe’s if they are seen in South Africa.
”The Mugabes can’t come here and constitute nuisance always. In South Africa, we don’t beat woman up. They can’t come here, abuse our women and walk away with it.
”Since a case has finally been opened, the Police will done what needs to be done and that is to make sure Justice will prevail,” said Mbalula.
”Dr Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma will not go to Zim and beat women up because her sons are misbehaving. We won’t have that here,” concluded the minister.
The CEO of The Capital hotel group – where the alleged assault took place – Garnet Basson confirmed that there was an incident that prompted management to ask guests to leave the hotel.
“What happened in the hotel room‚ I don’t have a comment on … I can’t disclose the name. We did have guests removed from the premises due to a scenario where we thought it was not good for them to stay there.
“It was almost a forceful exit‚ but it wasn’t. It was a decent exit after about a half an hour of discussions.
”The Police have also been here to collect evidence, statements and CCTV clips,” Basson said..
Engels has been tweeting about the incident: