The Pietermaritzburg primary school guidance counsellor accused of raping and sexually assaulting young boys in his care will be sent to the district surgeon for a full body examination.

This was revealed at the city’s magistrate’s court on Wednesday, when it was expected that the man would re-apply for bail based on new facts.

Read also : Schoolboy found fatally stabbed to death.

The bail application was adjourned to October 13, due to the magistrate dealing with the case being off sick.

However, prosecutor Patty David made an application before a relief magistrate for the accused to be taken to the district surgeon for a full body examination.

David elaborated that the surgeon would check for an alleged birth mark on the private parts of the man, as described by the alleged young victims.

The man would also be taken for DNA swab tests.

The man’s advocate, Brad Osbourne, said that while he did not object to the examination, there was a concern that this part of it was not done at his client’s initial bail application.

“My client has been in custody for three months. There is no reason for the process to take this long,” Osbourne said.

The counsellor was initially denied bail by Magistrate M Boikhutso in July, and he last month appealed the decision in the high court. This appeal, too, was refused.

He will now bring his fresh bail application on new facts before Boikhutso on October 13.

Read also : Man allegedly raped by three women.

The 32-year old counsellor, who has a Masters in Psychology from UKZN, is charged with seven counts, which include three of rape and four of sexual assault of learners at the school aged between four and nine years old.