Toning, brightening, lightening…These are all words referring to skin bleaching. Some people use chemical substances to lighten their skin tone. Uncomfortable with their appearance, they believe that the lighter their skin is, the more beautiful they are. This has become a growing phenomenon, and a big business for cosmetic companies in Africa. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), 77% of women in Africa use skin-lightening products.
Many seem to dismiss the fact that these products are very dangerous. Some consequences of skin bleaching include leukemia, liver cancers, kidney failures, as well as skin discoloration and scarring.
Here is a list of celebrities that openly bleached their skin.
8. Ghanaian model Mariam Abdul Rauf says she is comfortable bleaching her skin.
7. Jamaican recording artist and Dancehall singer Vybz Kartel seems to have lost some color over time.
6. Baseball retiree Samy Sosa said a facial cream bleached his skin.
5. Nollywood actress Ini Edo joined the club not too long ago.
4. Kenyan actress Vera Sikida spent lots of money in skin bleaching products.
3. Rapper Lil Kim did not only go under the knife, she bleached her skin too.
2. Former model Irene Major says she feels prettier lighter.
1. South African musician Mshoza wished for skin care products for her birthday